The original lions were carved in 1792 by the Italian artist, Antonio Canova (1757-1822) for the monumental tomb of Pope Clement X111 in St Peter's Basilica in Rome. The lions are crouching at the base of the tomb: one vigilant, the other sleeping.
Around 1810 they were acquired from the Canova workshop in Rome and formed part of a French private collection. There is a full-scale pair at Chatsworth House.
The beautiful white marble of Carrara in Tuscany was used for the Pantheon in ancient Rome, and was a favourite of Michelangelo. The sculptures in this collection - made in the UK - are created using a process of 'dry casting', so that each sculpture contains over 90% marble. The high quality is such that there will be no discoloration - other than natural patination and ageing - should the sculptures be placed outdoors.
|dimensions||Height: 15cm Length: 32cm|
marble pair of Canova lions
- Code: SA-092
- Status: In Stock
- excl tax: £125.00